SCOPE: Reports to the Director of Engineering. Scope and quantity of projects reflect a high level of ability and experience in product development.
SUMMARY: As a Lead R&D Engineer, designs and analyzes brake systems and related components. Independently manages development projects from inception to production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create product designs in 3D CAD system (Solidworks).
- Coordinate prototype development.
- Oversee product testing and validation, including brake dynamometer testing.
- Create test plans and compose test reports.
- Participate in project update meetings.
- Work with management and engineering support team to achieve project goals.
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects from inception to production.
- Interface on a technical level with customers and vendors.
- Communicate technical information required by Project Coordination, Purchasing, Production Engineering, Manufacturing and Quality Assurance.
- Understand brake-related industry standards, such as FMVSS.
- Analyze vehicle dynamics to determine the braking requirements for customer applications.
- Work with OEM sales and logistics staff on customer proposals and application-specific product development.
- Support Quality Assurance with OEM customer quality issues.
- Check manufacturing drawings to company standards.
- Perform computer FEA analyses on product designs
- Occasional travel to customer, vendor, or test locations.
- Alert management to potential design risks.
- Ensure that products are cost-effective, price competitive and maintain a high standard of quality and integrity.
- Maintain effective operational procedures to assure configuration control and accuracy.
- Monitor and report when necessary on critical producibility or high variability points within the developmental process flow.
- Train subordinates to provide proper proficiency, breadth and depth, career progression and succession.
- Participate in the ‘Research and Development to Production Transition’ process to ensure good configuration control and low design and inventory risk.
- Seek professional growth and advancement through continued education.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of brake systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering – preferably Mechanical or Automotive Engineering
- 7 years experience in mechanical engineering
- Automotive related experience
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Hands-on 3D modeling proficiency (SolidWorks preferred)
- Working knowledge of FEA simulation software
- Experience with hydraulics, braking systems, and vehicle dynamics
- Lean Six Sigma certification
Skills and Abilities:
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to read ANSI Y14.5 drawings with and understanding of true positioning and geometric tolerancing and a working knowledge of descriptive geometry. Ability to visualize three-dimensional views from a two-dimensional drawing and vice versa.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a wide variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Knowledge of materials and processes in a manufacturing environment in order to determine good manufacturing practices. Ability to translate these concepts into tangible benefits.
Salary Range: $75K - $125K annual (Commensurate with experience)
Wilwood Engineering offers a competitive salary and available benefits:
Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, 401 (k) with a discretionary match, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, and Career growth and development opportunities.